Our Mission: College Graduation
Memphis College Preparatory Elementary School prepares students in kindergarten through fifth grade with the academic and ethical character foundation necessary to excel in school and life. We believe that all students can be prepared to enter and succeed in college. It is a fundamental right for every child to have access to a high quality public education and a focus on college preparation beginning in kindergarten. As a public charter school, Memphis College Prep is tuition-free and open to all students who qualify.
The Achievement Gap
Only 1 in 10 students from low-income communities will graduate from college, and in Memphis less than 1 in 4 adults have a college degree. At Memphis College Prep, we believe that all children deserve the opportunity to be prepared to succeed academically in college. This success should not be predicated on receiving a private school education, nor should it be limited to public schools within affluent neighborhoods. Students who are not at least modestly proficient readers by third grade are unlikely to even graduate from high school, and vocabulary size at the end of first grade predicts reading comprehension 10 years later. At Memphis College Prep, our mission is simple: college graduation for all students. We understand the importance of a strong start and believe that it is incumbent upon us to provide an education that prepares our students for nothing less. Our goal is to fundamentally prevent the achievement gap.
- A College Preparatory Mission
- High Academic and Behavioral Expectations
- Rigorous Standards-Based Curriculum
- Longer School Day
- Focus on Results
- Team of Committed and Talented Teachers
- Highly Structured Learning Environment
- Respect – Show respect to yourself, your peers, and your teachers.
- Integrity – Do the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
- Scholarship – Always demonstrate intelligence and complete all assignments.
- Endurance – Work hard all day long.